The SMART-E training network is preparing the next generation of leading Advanced Roboticists to ensure a Sustainable Manufacturing sector in Europe. We are training 13 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) and 2 Experienced Researchers (ERs), developing a leading European doctoral training programme in Advanced Robotics Technologies.
The SMART-E network combines state-of-the-art techniques and utilizes novel technologies in new or lesser known areas involving a team of experts in:
- Embodied Intelligence: University of Zurich (UZH)
- Soft Robotics: UZH and the Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna (SSSA)
- Compliant Robotics: the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT) and the University of Salford (USAL)
- Smart Materials: IIT
- Safety and human-machine interaction: Technical University of Munich (TUM)
- Autonomous systems, dexterous end effectors and statistics: USAL
This is combined with the expertise from leading manufacturers and automation R&D companies and the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre at the University of Sheffield. The network is further supported by a number of Associated Partners from academia and industry.
The SMART-E network will:
- Deliver a globally leading, sustainable doctoral training programme.
- Provide researchers with complementary business, leadership and interpersonal skills, and giving them exposure to different working cultures in academic and business sectors internationally.
- Develop innovative solutions for industrial applications in advanced robotics and intelligent automation for sustainable manufacturing in dexterous, soft and compliant robotics in manufacturing; reconfigurable and logistics robotics; and safety and human robot interaction and cooperation.
- Provide hands-on experience of robotics research through experiments across European platforms.
- Promote European–wide collaboration on robotics for sustainable manufacturing.
The SMART-E ITN was launched in November 2013, and will run until 2017.